I Forge Iron

welding in a recess for a beginner

The other day I had to attach 1/4  rod to a 1/4 plate at 90 deg. The cleaner the job the better so I tried what I thought would be a Brilliant (for me) solution. I drilled a 1/4 hole and passed the rod partly through the plate . I hoped to then mig weld in the hole and be able to grind the plate flat . But there was no way I could get it to work the hole would fill up but the rod was not getting welded at all. Is this a viable technique ? How do I do it?

It can be done but if you're much of a beginner, then a 1/4" diameter will be difficult... Settings on your mig machine make the world of difference! I agree with Cavala, countersink the back side (welded side) of the plate. You can even put a minor chamfer on the end if the rod (same side) so it will give you a "V" groove in a circular shape and but the rod flush with the bottom side not recessed. Weld in the little circular groove FAST until it's full then grind. Remember, machine settings are key.

-Hillbilly

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just like to say your suggestions were very helpfull . Ive been attaching 3/16 section staples to escutcheon  plates  ( making door bolts) . I countersink the hole on the back side ,insert the staple in the hole till flush with back,then weld and grind off flush. Similar effect to riveting  but is easier in terms of getting things backed up and keeping it lined up.cheers!