I Forge Iron

Hard Facing

I finished harfacing about 1/2 of the comb portion of the rake.  Here are some pictures of the comb with just the paint removed and one with the hardfacing applied.  I found it easy to weld with the rod.  I used different patterns moving the welding rod as I went along.  But, I found the connecting "e" pattern the best for laying down more of the hardfacing rod.  Maybe that just me and the way I weld.  As I worked down the sides I would make my "e" larger.   As you can see, I started at the tip and worked my way down each side.  I then came back and crossed over side to side to make sections.  I don't think I need to cover every inch with hardfacing.  Any way, here it is and I will report on how it holds up next.  I used my old Lincoln 220 AC welder.  Recommended amperage is 125 to 175.  I used the lower setting on my welder of 137 within the range suggested.  The last photo is the last section I completed.  I tried to increase the width/size of my puddle as I worked down the sides and found the bead to be a little flatter. This covered more area and so I don't need to run a bead across.   I found the metal warping a little from the long weld runs, but I don't think that will effect the usage.   Not sure if anyone is interested in all this stuff?

post-7487-0-45021100-1359587563_thumb.jppost-7487-0-81764600-1359587632_thumb.jppost-7487-0-59045300-1359672827_thumb.jp

Here is what I found on the Stoody website page, see below.   I purchased 10 lbs at $111.00, that is with tax here in California.  For the 48 teeth on the comb, I will have used about 40 rods.  It does crackle a lot when welding.  I tried different patterns at the base of the triangle to see what works best and what may be needed after using it for some time.  I'm interested in seeing how it wears, as the info indicates it work hardens.  

TYPICAL DEPOSIT CHARACTERISTICS 

Abrasion Resistance  Excellent,

Diameter, In. (mm) 1/8 (3.2) 5/32 (4.0),

Current, Amp. DCRP 125 – 175 175 – 250,

Position Flat or Horizonal Flat,

Length 14” 14” 

I used 1/8" rod with my AC welder.  I assume that DCRP=Reverse Polarity. 

Never using a hardfacing rod before I expected the welds to be a little harder.  I tried grinding on a few spots and didn't find it any harder than grinding on mild steel, or other welding runs.  Unless it work hardens a lot, I don't think it will last as long as I had hoped. Any one with experience that is different?

Yes, DCRP is reverse polarity. Meaning you use a direct current (DC) machine and the rod is the positive end. Completely different than AC current..... The DCRP raises question to me because i have never used a hard facing rod on Reverse Polarity, only Straight Polarity. But if that is what the manufacturer specifies, do it......

'Hillbilly