I Forge Iron

Windchimes 2.0

This is another attempt at making a set of chimes.  Turned out better than the last, I think, which is all I can ask for.

The top is a 5" ring split and shaped from a length of 3/4" x 3/8" then rounded over the horn.

The chimes are vary lengths cut from the same bar, with the ends split back most of the way towards the center and the ends on each side folded towards each other (more or less) so the form two 'U"s with the bases touching.  They were then heated and quenched.  I soaked them in vinegar overnight, then wire wheeled them.  Finally they got a shot of clear coat.

The tone on them is nice, clearer than the last.  They sound like tiny bells, which is good.  I think.  ;)

WindchimesII-II.jpg

WindchimesII-I.jpg

PS - Yes, my garage is a mess.  It's what you get when you have a wife that doesn't throw much away and a twelve year old son.  :)

Cold rolled steel - thought I put that in there before.  Doh! 

I did heat the chimes to medium red and quenched them in water.  I don't think it makes it that much harder, based on the little I know about cold rolled, but it does change the tone of the ring, at least to my ear.  It sounds 'tighter' to me, if that makes any sense.

I really like the looks and sounding like a bell is just dandy. To get as much hard out of mild as you're likely too, do a quick search here for Gunther's Super Quench, it'll get as much as reasonably possible from mild without going to extremes.

I'd have to play with the shapes to know but I'm thinking hanging them from the center will change the note, maybe even muting it. Have you tried hanging from near the end of one leg? Near being around 1/4-1/3 the leg's length from the end.

Again, I like the shape and it's speaking a number of versions in my mind's eye.

Frosty The Lucky.

That set doesn't require much breeze to get them moving - the diameter on the set is only about 4-5", and once they get swinging/twisting, it takes awhile for them to settle down.

Frosty, I have a bucket of superquench but didn't use it on these.  I will try it on the next set and see what kind of difference it makes.  As to the hanging point, the best tones came from hanging them right in the middle, right betwixt the bases of the forks.

• 3 weeks later...