I Forge Iron

CO poisoning?

Iron Song

Hi guys, great fan of what this forum is about, been reading up threads as a guest for a short while now trying to get my own forge going. Just have a health issue that I need some input on.

Last week I had a charcoal fire going in a makeshift pit/brick setup in my backyard. Everything was outdoor and there was a good breeze going, but I stupidly put my face over the rising exhaust of the fire while heating a piece of steel. I don't know how long I was out there near the fire, but it was around 1-2 hours. When I finally quit, I realize my head was really dizzy and throbbing. I was light headed for the rest of the day, and it was lights out for me the moment my head hit the sack that night. In the morning, I could feel a wierd pressure in my head, headaches, and bouts of dizziness.

I know about CO poisoning, and I'm really worried that I might have some irreparable brain damage. I noticed my reflexes are slower when driving, slurring speech for a few days, and reduction in my thought process over the last week. Then again, it could all be in my head, because I'm also one of those people that can convince themselves sick if they believe it enough...

I'm hoping someone can offer some experienced insight to my situation: tell me I'm worrying too much, or that I really did have huge chunk of my brain cells die on me - Hopefully something to ease my mind.   

On a end note, There was a moment where I thought I was gonna give up on this forging business because of this incident, but its gone and I'm bent on building a REAL forge before the winter ends. Got a 50 pound of Hawthorne fire clay for lining, hoping to build something that can bring my steel to welding temperature. Anyone know where I can get some borax in Ontario? No luck in any of the major chain stores  :wacko:  .

Thanks Stefflus. I'm guessing its all in my head. Feeling better now on the mind, but with Fe-wood's suggestion, I guess a trip to the doc won't hurt and I'm due for a check up anyways. I'm gonna install a hood on the forge I'm planning to build, hopefully the least it does is keep my head from being over from the exhaust.

I agree with the trip to the doctor. We are smiths not Doctors. I can tell you of my experience that is similar. Same situation as yours... newbie, head in smoke for too long.trying my hardest, not wanting to give up. Ended up with a massive sinus infection, kind of disoriented me, horrible headache, had all kinds of stuff coming out my eyes. Go see the Doc, get a hood on the forge, learn to glance at the forge, don't stare at it & don't get to close. If you're outside, see which way the wind blows before you light the forge.Be safe!

Iron Song,

CO should be a constant concern for all of us.  CO is picked up by the hemoglobin (the oxygen carrying component of your blood) 210 times more readily than oxygen.  There does not have to be a lot of CO in the air if you are in that environment for an extended period of time.  I would recommend a trip to the doc just to be safe.

One issue is that it takes an appreciable time to clear CO from the bloodstream, I am not at all surprised that you could notice effects several days after.

However as mankind has spend many thousands of years working around charcoal fires I feel that you are probably overly concerned---if you don't do it again!

I will concur that the Dr is the next step if you are concerned. Perhaps it was something else that the exposure triggered---better to find such things out sooner than to bump an open heart surgery to get you on the table within 15 minutes of a proper diagnosis! (my personal experience about 28 years ago, *not* related to CO exposure but related to ignoring a warning in my youth...)

I remember one time I had a brushwood fire, just a small thing for maybe an hour, used some moldy wood and fungus-infected falled branches. I came down with something like the flu, and the wind was mostly blowing away from me. I think you might have had exposure to something else, but not CO. I have worked with charcoal in the same setting as you describe for longer without those effects taking hold of me. Definately go to the doctor, also make sure that the next time you do it you monitor your fatique levels, fresh air inhalation and water consumption, as those can all factor in to how bad you feel. Also make sure you do not use galvinized steel! A quick search for Metal Fume Fever is in order so you can learn about the dangers, and learn from others such as Paw Paw Wilson, who are no longer with us. If it was galvi metal you were using, stop using it and get some unplated steel.