I Forge Iron

box joints... again

knives85

Salutations to all.

i have come to this site for many reasons ,but the most pressing is my curent endevor to master the box joint. I have read a post from here on the topic ,but its usefull links are down.  I have personaly forged two "succesful" pairs of pliers, but they are sloppy in the joint and i cannot gurantee succes in a third, or, at this point, fiftenth atempt. What i realy need is a pictoral tutorial and measurements of the parent stock and the subsequent steps. Can anyone show me the proper way to do this?

with gratitude, david

i have made box joint pliers multiple pairs in fact part of the secret is to forge a close fit and leave a little extra on the female part so that after you punch and drift you can forge back and fill any gaps ... it takes a certan amount of fiddling to get it right . i took a class with Pieter Ross years ago to learn how ... i suggest checking to see if anyone in your area can teach you as hands on is always a better teacher for blacksmithing .