I Forge Iron

New Find 50Lb Anvil, is it a fisher?

I got this anvil today.

It weights 50lb flat and has no markings i can see, but i will put it to a wire wheel later today to see if i uncover anything behind the paint. 

The reason i think it might be a fisher is because it has 3 visible layers.

The base is welded to the top body and the top is also attached.

All three layers have a different tone and the top looks to be welded to the base.

I have heard fishers do not ring but this one does.

Please let me know what you think.

post-27777-0-41247200-1354824725_thumb.j

post-27777-0-63441000-1354824738_thumb.j

post-27777-0-43060100-1354824751_thumb.j

post-27777-0-13094700-1354824763_thumb.j

post-27777-0-15005000-1354824775_thumb.j

post-27777-0-26201100-1354824787_thumb.j

I have a confirmed FISHER that size. It is marked FISHER on the front of the anvil base. I looks like yours and has a cast recess in the base mirroring the base shape. That is the base recess is formed by a 1" wide border all around. The anvil appears to be cast. No handling holes. And has a raised feature below the plate on the side of the anvil. The plated top on mine is no more than 3/16" thick.

It looks right for a Fisher, BUT Fishers do not ring, they go thunk. At least none that I have ever known of ring. Also are you sure about the anvil being welded segments. Fishers are cast solid with casting mold lines that could be confused as welds if you don't know otherwise.

What about the diagonal feature that appears to be a crack ?

I just tested the sound of  my small Fisher.   No ring but a higher pitch sound than my 300 pounder.  The sound is more close to a "clink" than a thunk .  

Never used this one.  Saving it for a grand daughter who is developing into a jewler.  

It is kind of light for any real forging .  The lightest anvil that I have ever used was 85 pounds, a nice little Brooks.  I used that one for demonstrations  It was a cast steel anvil so you could beat the living daylights out of it without damageing it.   But it had to be fastened to the stump or it would move around a lot.  It does look like you may have a Fisher.  If it is and is like mine the plate is really to thin for heavy hammering.  Mine was not used all that much but still deformed along the edges.  OTOH a lot of folks have started out with steel rails or blocks lighter that your anvil.  To be sure it is a keeper.  Just start out with a lighter hammer , say 2 or 21/2 pounds.  start with 1/2 or smaller bars until you get a feel for how much it will take without damaging it.  Be sure you iron is up to forging heat and stop forging when the metal stops moving.  Fasten the anvil down securely before any serious work is attempted.  I like Z clips for securing the anvil to stump.

Nice anvil use it  It will always be a decent demonstration anvil .

A protruding top "plate" is often NOT steel but a cast iron anvil trying to fake people out that it has a steel plate added. Anvils with steel plates forge welded to them often are quite well dressed on the sides and the forge weld line is pretty much the only trace. Do a spark test of the face vs the body and see if they differ!

I am aware that many of the protruding plates are actually one solid casting with the body, but i do not think this one to be. It does not sound like cast iron when struck, it has a nice loud 'pink'. I put a wire wheel to it today and took a close look at the side of the plate, it appears as if there are 3 layers to the plate itself. I will post pics soon.