I Forge Iron

Couple of bolt tongs and a pair of scroll tongs

FieryFurnace

I made the bolt tongs for a guy that wanted them. They hold 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch square and round stock, inline or perpendicular.

Entirely forged to finish with the exception of rounding off the ends of the reigns and jaws with a grinder.

The scroll tongs were not on the "to-do" list, but I burned the end off of one of my tong blanks, so I had a short piece. I torched a matching short piece off the coil spring, and made the scroll tongs. I did not use the power hammer at all on these. They were forged entirely on the anvil. The ends of the reigns were hot rasped instead of ground. They still need to be wire wheeled. I use a similar pair on a daily basis.

I use spring steel on my tongs.

DSC08788.jpg

DSC08789.jpg

DSC08790.jpg

DSC08791.jpg

DSC08792.jpg

Very nice tongs.
You might find your scroll tongs work better if the bits were flat.

Hey thanks for the complement, and the critique.

The reason I do my scroll tongs with the curved bits instead of the flat, is you can work with a wider range of stock thicknesses while still remaining in the "comfy" range of the tong handles. Flat bit, scroll tongs do not allow for this. To each his own though. (I have used both styles!)

Thanks Brian! As always, it means alot coming from you!