I Forge Iron

Finally finished my 2X72 belt grinder.

switchjv

After a month of working a few hours at a time, i finally finished my belt grinder. Total cost of the build was a little under $300. The priciest part being the motor courtesy of Harbor Freight($119.00 with the 20% off coupon). Secondly, the contact wheel from Grizzly($79.00). Everything else was fabricated by myself with exception of the pillow blocks(Ebay $24.00 pr.). The majority of the steel was scrap pieces and recycled parts. All that is left to do is mount the ON/Off switch.

post-12583-0-73672200-1354204028_thumb.j

post-12583-0-34301400-1354204040_thumb.j

Good job Switch - I hope my grinder looks half as good when finished. Did you make the idler/tension wheel yourself? What are you using for the platten wheels?  With $220 in motor/bearing/wheel you sure did a GREAT job of "scrounging" parts - man after my own heart<:)

Ken H>

Thanks ken. I machined the tension wheel from a piece of 6061 aluminum. And the idler wheel was machined from a piece of 3" steel round bar. I thought of casting a rubber face on the idler wheel with room temperature vulcanizing rtv. But it works good without it. The platten wheels will be machined from 2" steel round bar.

I did some research when I built my 2x72, that really paid off, made the idlers from 2" and 4" alluminum in a similar way,  getting the crown right on my drive wheel made the belt track straight right away, I read were some other builders used the more affordable contact wheels from sunhill or grizzly, they reccomended mounting the wheels in a lathe on thier true shaft center and grinding/sanding the rubbber a bit to eliminate the last bit of runnout on the face, could make the difference of having the finished sander peform like a really smooth topnotch machine,   Nice looking build

Woodsmith