I Forge Iron

How much gap in ram guide?

Hi. Someone left behind (donated) a 25 pound Little Giant power hammer and left the country. Everything on it looks good, except for some slop in the ram guide. It has 0.0125 in front and 0.0075 in back, on each side, according to feeler gauges. The rattling can be felt if the hammer head is given a shake. Is this too much (requiring relining)? There are no more shims left on the ram guide bolts, so this is it on that adjustment. Or can the hammer be operated without risk of galling? The only thing that I saw using a web search is that "all gap should be adjusted out". :confused:

That is too much slop - how you fix it will depend on your skills and resources.

I used to tighten my 25 until it locked up and then backed off until it slid freely without binding anywhere along its travel. You could try that first.

A good way to fix it is line the guides with bronze or brass strips. That can be done a couple of ways but simple is best if you decide to go that route.

You could try epoxy but if it was me, I would drill and tap 3-4 holes in both guide and shim stock, then use CS headed brass screws to hold it on (or tapered brass pins if you have a lathe. File any proud material flush and you have a nice wear plate.

how does everyone seem to get such easy access to mechanical power hammers ? >_< When I'm trying and looking for one i cant for the life of me find anything, yet so many people I talk with randomly stumble across them for scrap price or free =P

On old style Little Giants with the wraparound guide I weld a piece of 3/4" angle in the front guide to "restore" it. This leaves plenty of room for shims now so you can adjust your hammer. Most of these hammers, especially well worn ones like yours will have more wear at the bottom of the stroke than the top. To really get one running true you will usually end up having more shim at the top than at the bottom with the middle somewhere in between. Take your time here and as said above tighten til it won't move, add shim(s) and tighten fully and try again. This can take quite awhile (hours) but is worth the effort. Do all of this with the hammer liberally lubed with whatever you intend to oil it with. I use chainsaw bar oil on the ram. In the winter when its stiff I will give it a squirt of WD to thin it til things get warmed up.

how does everyone seem to get such easy access to mechanical power hammers ? >_< When I'm trying and looking for one i cant for the life of me find anything, yet so many people I talk with randomly stumble across them for scrap price or free =P

i,m trying to get a donated one for French Camp Academy
know od one let me know:0
harley