I Forge Iron

air in the fire

IronPuppet

That's good, Glenn. I'm glad to hear it. I got lots of scrap wood.

Got around to putting my new fire pot together today. See what you think of this now. Seems big to me. Could be made smaller with clay. I think I'll make the hood removable so on good days I can take it off and also to store it away.

Christopher

2662.attach

2663.attach

2664.attach

2665.attach

2666.attach

2667.attach

2668.attach

2669.attach

2670.attach

2671.attach

I dunno about the extra clay. It seems to me from the photo with the squirter tape that it would be deep enough without it. Just tack it/bolt it or otherwise join it to a plate to fit inside the wheel. Leave a bit of the wheel proud of the plate and you have storage for fuel.

What about burning out the pot...no worries...knock up another one.

• 6 months later...

Hey Ironpuppet,
thanks for the thread. I keep thinking of makiing a charcoal forge, as soon as I can get a place to work outdoors without fire concerns. This whole conversation has been very enlightening and educational. Not that I expected any less from everybody here.

thanks again

I dunno about the extra clay. It seems to me from the photo with the squirter tape that it would be deep enough without it. Just tack it/bolt it or otherwise join it to a plate to fit inside the wheel. Leave a bit of the wheel proud of the plate and you have storage for fuel.

What about burning out the pot...no worries...knock up another one.

My sentiments exactly. The picture may be decieving, but it looks deep enough that you would be wasting fuel on smaller pieces. I use charcoal in my forge at home and the fire pot is only 4-5" deep and I weld upto 1/2" easily and work upwards of 1". I made a long pot though and welded up some plate so that I can have whatever width of fire pot by sliding the sides along and unblocking other air holes for longer pieces too which gives me more fuel management control and I can get a very focused fire then by sliding them together.

I find the key is to maintain the fire underneath the piece because charcoal burns out fast. I find that pushing the piece into the fire from the top instead of sliding it in helps keep a fresh bed of coal under it and then working embers in from the side. Once you get used to a charcoal fire, don't be surprised if you get told you are fussing too much when you join a demo that's using coal.

• 1 month later...