I Forge Iron

Hydraulic pump question

macbruce

I'm building a hydraulic bender as some of you may have noticed. No directions came with it and it's not stamped acordingly the self contained unit has two ports on the pump and I have no clue which is in or out. One port looks like it may be fitted with a check valve?? Anyway if anybody knows for sure which is which please respond otherwise I'll give the supplier a call in the morning and talk to their tech person. thanks....mb

post-15096-0-02613700-1353861002_thumb.j

macbruce, Not sure if this will help you. I have a simular pump on my Hossfeld bender. It is double acting and two of the top 3 ports are pluged and it uses a bottom port. I can not see the side of yours to see if you have a lower port. Heres a photo.

post-6037-0-00108400-1353880078_thumb.jp

Is there a rotation indicator? Most hyd pumps will only work in one direction. This will also detemine which port is suction. If the rotation is clockwise looking at the moter from the pump end the port on the left should be the suction. Or in. The next one over should go to the valve assy. Or out. Then the valve assy should go to your cylinder. Assuming you are using a double action valve.
But the main thing is the rotation.

Thanks Guys, I got to looking at the thing and reasoned the pressure side would be where the pressure relief valve is, at around 5 Oclock below the rh valve......I'm still gonna talk to the tech guy tomorrow cause I'm thinking I'll fit it with an electric solenoid valve instead of a spool unit if possible.

I talked to the tech dude and he said the pressure hole is always smaller than the return. I haven't bothered to look yet...... He informed me that I can operate my bender with an electric solenoid valve which will eliminate lots of hoses and make the whole thing alot less cluttered.... B)

I talked to the tech dude and he said the pressure hole is always smaller than the return. I haven't bothered to look yet...... He informed me that I can operate my bender with an electric solenoid valve which will eliminate lots of hoses and make the whole thing alot less cluttered.... B)

Control wires are easier to to run and safer too, they don't spray oil if they get damaged. It should be easy to incorporate an adjustable limit switch also.

How are solenoid valves for feathering, or are they full on/off? I'm accustomed to spool levers, or flow control valves, being able to adjust flow or give something a lighter nudge.

Since the pump is only 1.3 gpm driving a 4'' cylinder ''feathering'' is almost imperceptable. Mr Tech said rapid joging is Aok and that's pretty much what I always did with the lever on the old machine.....we'll see.... :)

1.3 gpm and a cylinder of that dimension will seem similar to the same setup as a hydraulic hose end swaging machine. It should be good enough for you project unless you demand too much total pressure in the push. 4 in diameter and 3000 psi will give you about 37,000 pounds force.

Carry on