I Forge Iron

New from UK

bogmonster

Hi,

Newbie. So far I have been on a one day course in Jan this year with John B. That was excellent. I am planning to build a smithy with my neighbour but he has been very busy with a house extension. Anyway, impatience has gotten the better of me so I have just got a simple pile of bricks gas forge working and I pick up an anvil at the weekend. We will have a coke forge in the smithy when time permits. I am sure going to ask a lot of dumb questions so apologies in advance....

Might go on some more courses - I was interested in the joining course the Guild was running but can't see that anymore? I think there is a 3 day intensive course now. I am in the Mendips so Exeter is an easy drive for me. I may struggle with 3 days as I have ME and have to take things frustratingly sloooow. Anyway I am going to pick up some steel tomorrow. I have a bench vice and am picking up a leg vice in a weeks time so I am almost good to start... I will start going back over the pint glass holder, toasting fork and hook I made with John to see how much I have remembered :)

BW BM

Hi Bogmonster. Welcome to the site.
I can agree with you about the courses run at the Guild down in Exeter, as that is where I am learning as well.

As for the stuff on the course, you can make the pint glass holder out of 8-10mm round stock. All you will need is a hammer and an anvil. It will make life a lot easier if you have a vice, and a piece of pipe (welded to a block that holds it in the vice) to form the round section around. A few tools here would also help, such as scrolling forks, but you could probably just about make do with a pair of pliers.

As for the ME, I don't know a lot about it, but don't be lured into thinking you need to use a massive hammer and thick stock metal. Tailor your smithing to yourself!

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the welcomes. I picked up some stock on the way to work yesterday - I have Avon Steel almost en-route and they carry a good stock and are happy to supply small quantities so that is good. I will borrow a small anvil from a neighbour today and should be picking up mine tomorrow. As for the ME, it is very mild but I do need to pace carefully as it is easy to overdo it and that can wipe me out for a week. You don't always realise you have overdone it until a day or two latter when you struggle to get out of bed. I will definitely start small, I have a 2 lb hammer already so will try that out for starters. The good thing with smithing is that it is easy to take regular breaks. I am a keen wood turner but you are sometimes committed to long spells at the lathe as wood warps quickly. My plan is to try and combine the smithing and turning in some of my projects.

Going to talk to local garages and the local scrap man today to see if I can't get a supply of springs and half shafts and the like for some tools.

BW BM

I've got hold of suspension springs and leaf springs from a local garage. Just have a chat with the manager before you go skip diving. I would strongly suggest that you go on the tool making course at the Guild (April 27th and 28th) as tool steel acts differently to the mild steel you will have used before. And you will need to learn how to heat treat the steel to make tools.

There is a forum lower down on this page for the Blacksmiths Guild.

Where abouts in the mendips are you? I'm relatively close!

I'm in Priddy just up from Wells and Cheddar. Didn't get much done today, decided I needed to tidy the garage and reduce all the fire risks and clutter first. I did cut open a gas cylinder today and will have a go at a cheapo bottom blast forge as well. I was a little nervous but it was easy when I got into it. Just bought an arc welder on ebay so when I learn to use it I will weld on some pipe 2 or 3 inch and legs and attach a blower.

BW BM

Hello Bogmonster! Welcome!

I spent a few summers on a farm very near to where are when my partner was working up there about 6 years ago, I saw a peregrin falcon take a pigeon out of the air in Cheddar Gorge, and the caves there are absolutely amazing!! Great place!

Anyway, lots of great info here to chew on so have fun!

Nice bit of countryside around there!
If I was a bit closer I could have come and given you a hand, but it seems your further away from me than I thought. Oh well.

Good luck anyway. Perserverence is a virtue and you will find plenty of help on here.