I Forge Iron

recent firescreen

gearhartironwerks

This is a recent fire screen installed in Oceanside,OR. The accents are 655 sil bronze. The stylized bird handle was forged on the SayMak 60 using curved fullering dies. The broom (not) shown is being woven on to a handle by Warren Olney at the Broom Shop in Grants Pass, OR. If you're unfamiliar with Warren, he's the best and is reasonably priced. www.broomshop.com
Thanks for looking.
Johnpost-677-0-98677300-1353611891_thumb.jpg

MP,
The face frame of the doors is hammered 1/4 x 1 1/4". A fabricated rear frame of 1/4 x 3/4" is constructed to match the curve, but is centered on the back of the door frame. That leaves a 1/4" relief all around. I use 6 mesh x 18 ga. screen that does not need to be stretched as it is a high carbon screen and is quite stiff...and pricey (no callbacks). I cut the screen with an .045 cutting wheel to match the outline of the rear panel, then use multiple clamps to hold down the work ...face frame, screen and rear panel sandwiched together. I work on the corner of the table and clamp 2 sides. Since the face frame is 1/4, I use 1/4 spacers to hold the screen off the welding table to keep it level. So, face frame, face down to the table, then screen, then rear frame, all clamped to the corner of the welding table.

The screen is at least 1/8" thick. I get down to about eye level with the table and aim the mig welder into that gap and stitch weld the 3 pieces together. As a finish, I use a 4 1/2 x 1/8th " grinding wheel and remove excess weld. This makes for a clean and solid door.
Some warping does occur, so I either hammer or press out the warping.
Hope this helps.
John

John,

I use low carbon screen from McNichols and it comes rolled up so I have to "iron" it on a table to get the set removed and of course, I have to stretch it also. Does the high carbon steel ship in the flat condition? That would be worth a premium if I could save the added labor spent on the roll material.

Thx, Hollis

The screen I use comes from Western Wire...6 mesh/18 ga.... and the roll is 51" wide. I ask them to shear it to the length I want and flatten it. When I get it, other than cutting to a finished size, it's ready to weld. I tried McNichols as their prices are good, but the aggravation of working with it wasn't worth the time and $ saved. I use WW in Portland,OR and deal with Kim. You're welcome to use my name as she is familiar with the material I use.
John