I Forge Iron

Electrical question

Larry H

I have #2 wire...three lengths, two are more than long enough, one maybe not. The question is can I splice it when I'm using it to supply the power to my new shop, about a hundred feet to the panel. Or can a junction box be installed out side of the house and connect from there.

Buy the a new wire, you need 4 total rated for undergound installation if you are not using water tight conduit because the wiring must be water and UV protected. THHN or THWN is not going to work unless you install water tight conduit, you need to use SEU or simular.

Getting the proper splice kits will cost about as much as the new wire, and thats assuming you know how to use them. The correct kits include splice blocks, insulation jelly and shrink wrapping. A sub panel still needs grounding, so that is why I stated 4 wires, not 3, and even the ground wire connecting to the main panel can get corroded at splices, and these lines need to be buried at least 24 inches deep.

If I have to I will cite codes for this post later, but its a holiday and I was called on the phone to get online and address this, 100 amp lines are nothing to guess at, I have over 25 years experiance, and hold a nationally recognized master electrician license.

Steve Sells
IBEW 305 JIW electrician