I Forge Iron

Band Saw recommendations?

Saw a couple threads this morning about bandsaws but I didnt want to hijack other peoples threads. For a small hobby shop, what would everyone recommend for a small bandsaw for steel? I wouldnt use it a whole lot, mostly rough cutting out of some various shapes. I would like one that could cut 1/4" thick material. Obviously I would like to spend as little as possible. Thanks.

Saw a couple threads this morning about bandsaws but I didnt want to hijack other peoples threads. For a small hobby shop, what would everyone recommend for a small bandsaw for steel? I wouldnt use it a whole lot, mostly rough cutting out of some various shapes. I would like one that could cut 1/4" thick material. Obviously I would like to spend as little as possible. Thanks.

A lot of folks like ones like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html

There are a number of articles out there on improving them.

I agree with Big D. I have one of the Harbour Freight saws that the link shows, and have used it for several years. I have cut a 3" round shaft and 2"X2" square stock and they cut pretty square. For the money that I paid for it, it has paid for it's self time and again. It has a small table that comes with it and can be mounted with the saw in the vertical position and, with a couple of washers to shim it up on one side, it works great that way too. Of course, it is not American made. But that was all that I could afford, at the time. :)

I'm with Old N Rusty's suggestion. but to add to that on ebay there are a couple of companies that sell mounts for theses saws to make them work as a horizontal or vertical saw. I have a vertical mount and use it alot,it is a Mlwaukee. I would post you a link but don't know how. May be someone else will be kind enough to do it.

"mostly rough cutting out of some various shapes" If this is the operative requirement, it sounds like you need a vertical band saw. Since the commercial model vertical band saws are pricey it seems an unlikely choice for a small home shop. There is another alternative. You could purchase a nice used wood cutting band saw from CL or another such source and substitute a three phase motor driven by a VFD. The saw drive sheave should be changed as well to 8 or 10 inch.

The advantage of this conversion is that the VFD can be programed to allow the blade speed to vary from wood cutting speeds to metal cutting speeds so that you have a two in one saw. Very Handy

Pattern makers metal cutting blades are available for these smaller band saws which is a big plus for cutting shaped work pieces. However you would be surprised what can be cut with a 1/2" blade using the blade for rough cuting the shape then as a file to refine the shape.

I have made this conversion on one of my saws , an old 14" Rockwell, and have never regretted it.

Good Morning,

I like the little saw that Big-D was showing you. I use it the way it is intended and I also use it like a verticle saw. I sit on the base when the saw is up and control the work piece on the horizontal shoe, by hand or vice-grips.

It does both verticle and horizontal cutting.

Neil