I Forge Iron

Not sure Where to find stuff or what

AJAX

I am deciding wither or not to make a gas forge or a coal/charcoal forge. I like the idea of a solid fuel forge, but I have no idea where to get coal, nor how much it costs. I also have no training working with a coal forge, only on gas. I kind of know how to make charcoal but I don't think my neighbors or my local fire department would appreciate me making the stuff on the weekends. I would like to know where you guys get your coal and how much it cost roughly if you can. I would also like to know how long that coal lasts. Propane is available where i live, but its pretty expensive so coal is my solution, but if i can't find any in the area i'll have to go with gas. Let me know you thoughts.

We get our coal from a local supplier. I use about a 2- 5 gallon bucket fulls a day on a good long day forging. But I'm in the coal country of East TN. There are websites online to order from, but after shipping I think its a dollar a pound. SO that would be super prohbitive since for us its $160 a ton. I would suggest a gas forge if you can't find a local, reasonably priced source.

Each has its advantages. For you gas is probably the best option. If your nieghbors wouldn't like you making charcoal, burning green coal will really tweak them. I don't like using charcoal because it hurts :wacko: (don't use it around flamable stuff). Coal and coke are getting harder to find, if you do happen on a reliable supply use it, otherwise gas is cleaner and available.

I pay $21.55 (including sales tax) for 50# of coal from a guy that buys by the shipping container load. In a decent afternoon (4 hours), I go through maybe 10# of coal and maybe that much again in coke, which is essentially free, since I get it from the last session's fire when i put it out. 50# of coal lasts me a pretty good while, including the coke - maybe running the forge 30-40 hours, if you count burning the coke into the equation.

Ask the horse owners around you (I'm sure there are a few) who shoes their horses, then ask those guys (the farriers) where they get their supplies. Chances are good they know someone that sells coal in the area. That's how I got hooked up with my guy - he's a farrier supplier that happens to stock coal for guys like me.

Compared to propane around here, coal is practically free. My guess is I'd go through a propane cylinder every couple of weeks, and they cost about $25 to fill (5 gal).

Propane is dirt cheep across the nation according to (everyday) news AND the nation is currently gearing for LPG LNG and CNG as a replacement for diesel fuel AND gasoline.

That aside, with the availability and the cleanliness, I'd say gas is tops.

By the way, I pay 12.00 for 50lbs of soft coal from PA.................but it sure makes a mess!!!