I Forge Iron

? on CASTABLE TYPE

I have started to design & build a new propane forge for the shop finely :D What I am building is a flat top forge with a ribbon burner pointing straight down, this top piece 31" X 31" SQ metal tray will be hook up to a trailer jack so the hole top can be moved higher or lower depending on size of project being worked then you just stack fire brick for walls

Now the ?? I want to cast the top tray piece in one pour I am looking for a Good high temp cast-able
ANY Ideas on what to buy & from who

Also any Ideas on how to hole the castable in the tray I am thinking on some SS rod -- like you would do a cement floor with re bar OR would T piece weld in be better ?

I will post pics as things get built :) the floor part is built it will be brick hard or soft that is still a ??
this hole forge unit will swing over my Lg coke forge or swing out of the way to use coke forge
do to my forge area space, also forge top piece is removable to fix or change out to another top unit
if need be for future whatevers LOL ! later I will make a cart for it so it could go outside if needed

this is my take on a multiple use / size forge, for the strange sculpture forms we are doing lately
Like this ss sea creature in the works other than the stand the creature is all formed ss plate

E.J. Bartell's has a store in Eugene, OR. The two castable products that I've bought from them are : Mizzou, which is hard like concrete and had a good insulation index,,, and, Cast-O-Lite, which is kind of softer and easier to scratch, but has a great insulation index. They both have expiration dates on the bag, you will need to store the unused powder in a good ammo can where they stay dry

I have started to design & build a new propane forge for the shop finely :D What I am building is a flat top forge with a ribbon burner pointing straight down, this top piece 31" X 31" SQ metal tray will be hook up to a trailer jack so the hole top can be moved higher or lower depending on size of project being worked then you just stack fire brick for walls

Now the ?? I want to cast the top tray piece in one pour I am looking for a Good high temp cast-able
ANY Ideas on what to buy & from who

Also any Ideas on how to hole the castable in the tray I am thinking on some SS rod -- like you would do a cement floor with re bar OR would T piece weld in be better ?

I will post pics as things get built :) the floor part is built it will be brick hard or soft that is still a ??
this hole forge unit will swing over my Lg coke forge or swing out of the way to use coke forge
do to my forge area space, also forge top piece is removable to fix or change out to another top unit
if need be for future whatevers LOL ! later I will make a cart for it so it could go outside if needed

this is my take on a multiple use / size forge, for the strange sculpture forms we are doing lately
Like this ss sea creature in the works other than the stand the creature is all formed ss plate

Need pics man !! I gotta get over there and see your digs in person sometime...

E.J. Bartell's has a store in Eugene, OR. The two castable products that I've bought from them are : Mizzou, which is hard like concrete and had a good insulation index,,, and, Cast-O-Lite, which is kind of softer and easier to scratch, but has a great insulation index. They both have expiration dates on the bag, you will need to store the unused powder in a good ammo can where they stay dry

Hey Mike, long time no speak I got the trike all done save for the legal crap. BTW does that outfit ship here ?
I have finally built a waste oil burner and want to build a vertical forge to use it in, I'll roll by soon as I can ....Cliff

P.S. That blower you gave me woks great !!! THANKS !

OK Norseman / where you @ again LOL brain tired :wacko: pics didn't work @ the post :mellow: will try again later
OIL burner COOL I!got pics ? my shop stove works on oil an wood & blower air very basic would like to use only wast oil for heat for shop then again that brings the ? of an oil fired forge :) intro the picture

Steve

OK Norseman / where you @ again LOL brain tired :wacko: pics didn't work @ the post :mellow: will try again later
OIL burner COOL I!got pics ? my shop stove works on oil an wood & blower air very basic would like to use only wast oil for heat for shop then again that brings the ? of an oil fired forge :) intro the picture

Steve

HMMM .. Aparently my earlier post either didnt take or got pulled. I am a Humboldt native and millwrighted at So Coast Lumber
in Brookings a couple of years before moving to Klamath Falls, Mike is a neighbor and mentor.
The oil burner is my spin on the kwiky burner design I found at the Alloy Avenue Network web site, The test firing will be soon
and I'll post pics of results, I think it would be a good shop heater too with a heat exchanger tube setup,Dang !! another project !!

Cliff