I Forge Iron

Anvil Make Question

It looks like one of the Russian anvils that are made of steel. Some of those are good anvils. If it has a ring to it and does not dent when struck with a hammer, it's probably a good anvil. Now $175 is a bit high though.

We get a lot of Russian tools around here, so we have rules for buying them:
1. Do not buy anything that you can not inspect in person prior to the purchase. - Forget internet, get it on flea-market!
2. ...because... Looks can be deceiving. It goes both ways.
3. If you buy 10 identically looking items from 10 different sellers over a period of time, you will probably end up with 1 professional tool, 2 relatively good tools, and 7 useless chunks of plastic/metal.
4. If your total price is significantly lower than the price of a brand name professional tool at 10 pieces, or the tool looks really good and promising, works and still is significantly cheaper than a brand name tool it is worth the risk.
5. Look at the wear marks on the used tools, as they can tell you a lot about the quality of the tool and if it had successesfuly survived years of use, abuse and neglect.

Derailing the thread now, to give an example.

Russian and Soviet tools can be rugged, with no obvious way of telling if they have passed quality control (which can be quite strict, depending on application), and with unknown brand names. I have a Russian/USSR military issue 1kg cross-pien hammer, and even though it was drop forged it is one of the hardest and most reliable hammers that I have ever had. Almost every wrench or drill bit that I have bought over the years, has worn out or broke within minutes of use. OTOH Dad has several INDESTRUCTIBLE Russian drill bits. All that stuff looks pretty much the same. Can you see the (lack of) pattern here?