I Forge Iron

Anyone ever?

chopit

I'm worried it's to big of a stress point and will come apart. I like the look of a RR spike knife but want a good blade. I was thinking of welding it at the tang. I also thought about drawing it out and just put the blade section Damascus but I hate to waste the steel if it's not gonna work.

i think I have seen a RR knife with a patterwelded blade, I've definately seen an one made from a RR that was made out of pattern welded steel (ie the guy made the damascus, then turned it into a spike and then forged a blade on it!).

If your welding is good then there is no reason to fear weakness in a blade joined to the spike handle ;)

Yes, what seems to be the problem? I've taken a pattern welded billet, stood it on end and forged it down into a disk without weld shear. If you do a good weld no problem!

Billy Merrit has made a pattern welded RR spike, (much like Hrisoulas once made a knife into a file...or A.G.Russel once flattened and honed an Al beer can until he could shave with it...)