I Forge Iron

The iron manufacturer's guide

This is 771 pages of iron manufacturers in just about every state. Where they were located and all sorts of information. I found a foundry here in Middlebury, Vermont and have found iron samples and slag when they were in business between 1831 and 1890. I can't wait to forge some of the chunks of iron I found. Would this be wrought iron?

http://techterms.net/ironwork/lesley/lesley.pdf

Thomas I attached a piece of metal from the foundry I found in a pile mixed with slag. I also attached part of a article that I found about the foundry. What type of metal do you think it is? Just curious, but I want to understand it more. Thanks

The East Middlebury works used the bloomery method of iron production. In bloom smelting, iron-rich ore is reduced directly to liquid slag and a pasty mass of metal using carbon monoxide. To produce wrought iron, master bloomers worked masses of ore alternately in a charcoal-fired hearth and beneath a trip-hammer.

1831 - 1890 is VERY LATE for the bloomery method; are they sure about that? (I've done bloomery smelts for over 15 years now as part of a smelting team) Where is that article from?

As for the piece I would test it for greenstick wrought iron fracture vs cast iron fracture Unfortunately the spark test doesn't do a good job separating the two for many people.

Well it is listed under direct process category in the Directory of Iron and steel works; so I guess I'm learning something new today! I knew some throwback bloomeries were used in the south during the ACW but I didn't know any bloomeries were still commercially viable in the north at that late of a time.