I Forge Iron

Grinder Contact Wheels

Gundog48

I've almost finished building the frame for my belt grinder using the NWG plans, it's coming along very well. Right now, the only attachment I really need is the flat platen. However, I can see where using a contact wheel would be very beneficial. I've been doing a lot of research with little results, I'm struggling to find out exactly what makes a contact wheel different (and so much more expensive) than a normal bearing roller. The surface is always coated with a material, is this to add grip to the wheel? I'm trying to find less expensive and easier to source parts, but I can't come up with a viable replacement as I don't know the specific characteristics that a contact wheel requires compared to a normal roller.

The thing is, I'm fortunate enough to be able to source free roller bearings with a standard smooth surface with a 90mm diameter and 60mm wide (About 3.1/2" and 2.3/8"), so as you can imagine, I want to make use of them where I can. I'm using them as platen rollers and the tracking roller, but I imagine the contact wheel requires something special.

On a related note, does anyone know a good source of 3-step pulleys that could be reused or a good supplier in the UK?

Thanks,
Jake

i just purchased a contact wheel from Grizzly tools. Its 10" in dia. and 2" wide with a 3/8" rubber face. Ive priced several others and found this one to be the most affordable ($80 U.S.). I am in the process of building my belt grinder as well and ive just about sourced everything. I figure, when im finished with it, i will have spent about $300 including 2"X72"belts that i purchased on Ebay for 12$ a pair.

As a reference, if you look on the website, CNCcookbook.com there are several designs and blue prints for some really great DIY belt grinders.

A basic search on ebay yielded pulleys sold individually or by the pair, ranging from 17$-50$. Good luck with your belt grinder.

• 1 year later...

BUMP for this post.  I've started aquiring parts and the 10" Grizzly wheel seems to be a reasonable entry level wheel.  I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the bore size is (shaft size) on the Grizzly.  It is not on their website. 

If it is a large enough bore I'd love to slap some bearings (with spacer) in it and convert it to a rolling wheel instead of a drive wheel.