I Forge Iron

Hey Guys,

today Henrick and I forged our first rail road spike tomahawk. It has a welded-in cutting edge from coil spring steel. It is hardened and tempered. It has some welding failuirs in the blade but it holds firmly and has a very sharp cutting edge.

8103372699_341ecacdad_k.jpg

Bare with us, as I said this was the first tomahawk he and I made.

Take it easy guys!
- Daniel

Looks a heck of a lot better than my first tomahawk attempt. I was so depressed by my poor showing that I haven't dared to make another try. ;)
Try try and try again I just can say! Every time it will turn out a bit better and after some while you will do that when I wake you up 03:00am! ;-)

99pppo
Looks good, they are kind of a pain to make as you have probably noticed with the lack of volume to split and make the eye out of. I have made several and I usually upset the middle of the bar to at least 19mm and try for about 22mm then split it and you will get a taller eye socket.
I have not tried to weld in the cutting edge with spring steel that is a nice idea I may make one like that some day. I wouldn't get too worried about the small lines around the weld. I bet it is nice and solid inside.
GOOD job!

Gnarley axe PPPO, it has a certain character that'd probably sell well to the "zombie apocalypse warriors" and such. Practice will produce results, this is a decent first attempt, more will be better. RR spikes aren't the easiest stock for axe blades.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gnarley axe PPPO, it has a certain character that'd probably sell well to the "zombie apocalypse warriors" and such. Practice will produce results, this is a decent first attempt, more will be better. RR spikes aren't the easiest stock for axe blades.

Frosty The Lucky.
Haha yes good tool for Zobie apocalypse^^. Julien and I made an axe blank for a viking axe from pure iron I will soon weld a cutting edge in and finish it.