I Forge Iron

White flame?

Gor

Just got 1200lbs of coal on Saturday. It's the hard stuff, but it cokes up well once it gets going. After it burns down a little, I've noticed a mainly blue flame, but sometimes it even goes white. Is that good or bad? What exactly is happening there? Thanks!

White is phosphorus and not a big deal as long as it isn't a predominant flame color, a little wisp is no big thing. We used to get these little whirlwind wisps of phosphorus flame occasionally and we'd make jokes about pixies, gnomes, etc. getting hotfoots and needing to leave quickly. The kids loved it and their parents thought it was some special affect we planned and worked with hidden buttons. The kids can be so much brighter sometimes can't they?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I should have known that. Dunno why it escaped me. Thanks for the reply.

The world is so much more full of wonder to kids. I think it sucks that we tend to lose that as we age. Good on you for making them laugh

Flame colors can be quite vivid. It is worth reviewing them from time to time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_test
http://chemistry.about.com/od/analyticalchemistry/a/flametest.htm
http://webmineral.com/help/FlameTest.shtml#.UIMJSxiGaP8

Most of these colors we do NOT want to see in our fire. Some are quite unhealthy.

Phil

Frosty, I should have known that. Dunno why it escaped me. Thanks for the reply.

The world is so much more full of wonder to kids. I think it sucks that we tend to lose that as we age. Good on you for making them laugh

Really I wouldn't've known it if someone hadn't told me at a demo.

Yeah, I have some VERY good memories from kidhood, I did a LOT of experimenting even if Dad said Don't do X. Then he'd say "this is how you do it." It's like he knew I was going to take a lash at whatever regardless and didn't want me to skip the basic safety stuff.

I've managed to keep my inner 8 yr old well and healthy. Maybe it's why I get along with kids so well. Heck just this Sunday a couple kids were having chair races and nearly ran some poor innocent parishoner over. I had to stop them but got an enthusiastic response when I offered to spin them till one threw up. Ah, the good times. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Chemistry nut and minor pyro. I knew that phosphorus burns white. Just never occurred to me that there would be enough in the coal to affect the color of the flame that much.

I think forge work will keep my inner child happy. Plenty of fire to go around, and the chance to bang on stuff with a hammer. Add in a good imagination, and nothing is impossible