I Forge Iron

Critic my first forge (still in work)

raven154

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Well the ITC-100 coating didn't go so well. I guess I layed it on a little thick and it cracked in several places. It made a HUGE difference in the heat I feel coming out of the front door though. I was amazed at how much more uncomfortable it was to be in front of the fire even after the burners were off. I was going to buy some more just to skim over the cracks but I guess the price has gone up since the last time I bought. I seem to remember paying $30 for a pint about a year ago and now it's 70-90 for a pint! I couldn't believe it! Anybody have any left over they want to sell me just to patch some cracks? Or any idea what else's I can use? I just need a little. Considering a pint did my whole forge.

Raven,
There is another product very similar to ITC 100, it's called Plistix, I have used it and did notice a big jump in temp and the time it took to get my work piece to temp from before I had it on there, plus it is A LOT, (I mean), a whole LOT cheaper than ITC! You can get it from Wayne Coe, he sells it, as well as a lot of other products. My mind is drawing a blank, as too his contact info or website, if you can't find it through Google, email me at d_r_f_1(at)yahoo.com, my name is Rex. The plistix seemed to do a pretty good job, but I haven't used the ITC, it was too much on the pocketbook! I think the Plistix is a reasonable substitution, as far as I can tell anyway. I'm pretty sure you'll find him on Google, I think he has a personal forum on Knifedogs.com, a knife makers forum, although he does make knives, he's more into the Artisan Blacksmithing kinda stuff. Hope this helps, Rex

Thanks! I'll look into it. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it. Got a new job on Nov 5th, buying my first house in December, had to put a motor in my wife's van last weekend, had to put plugs in my bike and now I have to change the fork seals in it too! Luckily for me, my new job is a 4 10 schedule and I'm off every Friday.

Not that anybody cares lol