I Forge Iron

Fisher Size?

A friend of mine sent me these pictures of an anvil that he has the chance to buy and was asking me what I could tell him about it since the person who has it has no idea of weight and wasn't able to go measure it for size.

I can see that it's a Fisher from the style, it's obviously as clean as you could ever hope for, is marked with a date of 19?? and the weight marking is unclear but possibly a 3-digit number.

My question to you guys is just based on what you can see here in the pictures can you determine the weight? I had originally thought 150lb but after looking at it more I think it might by bigger.

Any thoughts or comments will be welcome.

Dave

Ryananvil2resize.jpg

Ryananvil1resize.jpg

Ryan anvil1 resize.bmp

Ryan anvil2 resize.bmp

The date number is L6x, which indicates it was made after 1962, during the Crossley era. The weight mark looks like a 150 or 180, indicating those weights. It is hard to tell from the picture. If you can get a better photo of the weight mark, it would be a lot easier to tell.

The anvil looks to be in very nice shape, and has that typical blue school paint color. Did it come out of a high school?

The date number is L6x, which indicates it was made after 1962, during the Crossley era. The weight mark looks like a 150 or 180, indicating those weights. It is hard to tell from the picture. If you can get a better photo of the weight mark, it would be a lot easier to tell.

The anvil looks to be in very nice shape, and has that typical blue school paint color. Did it come out of a high school?

I had no idea that Fishers used a coded date, I've never seen anything other than an actual date, this is good to know.

On the "Crossley era", is this a good time in Fisher's history, meaning are the anvils of the same quality as earlier ones?

My friend is going to buy this regardless and I'll post some better pictures once he has it. These ones are from the seller.

Thanks for the history!

Dave

May not be a coded date but a "in 19XX they changed the pattern board and the new pattern board was marked XYZ" sort of thing---or like knowing when the USA require point of origin markings on imported anvils.

Tom Powers: What are you talking about?? To me, your post makes no sense. This is a Fisher anvil, made in Trenton, New Jersey between 1962 and 1979.

I had no idea that Fishers used a coded date, I've never seen anything other than an actual date, this is good to know.

On the "Crossley era", is this a good time in Fisher's history, meaning are the anvils of the same quality as earlier ones?

My friend is going to buy this regardless and I'll post some better pictures once he has it. These ones are from the seller.

Thanks for the history!

Dave

Wire wheel off the paint on the weight mark, the date, and the emblem area(if there is one) and post some new photos. I will try to fill in the blanks.

The anvils Crossley made were made by the same employees who made them at Fisher. When the Fisher factory closed, a few employees went to Crossley to continue the anvil production. They used the same everything, including all of the equipment. Crossley Fisher anvils are exactly the same as original Fisher anvils.

NJanvilman; I was pointing out that some anvils can be dated by their markings/features that may not be a "coded date". Like lack of a pritchel puts an anvil pre 1820's in many cases.

I'm sure Fishers had some features that were used only during certain times and *you* probably know them as "they didn't use the foot lugs before this date" or some sort of thing. It's not a coded date it's just a timeline of markings and features and when they were present.

I don't know them for Fishers which is why I was speaking in generalities.