I Forge Iron

Chunk 'O Steel

Yes, AM, it is a good find. Within reason, Patrick Nowak can get occasion useful end pieces that are handy around the shop. If it is worth his while to bring them from Illinois, he can show up at SOFA with them.

Pat tells me that this is 4130, not 4140 as I wrote in the descriptions, which of course, is somewhat softer after heat-treating.

Still looks like a darned nice working surface. I've got a 75lb homemade anvil for my brother (so he doesnt marr the face on my peter wright) made out of a section of 6" diameter 4140. The fellow who I know who had it and who I got it from has a funny tale about almost burning down the workshop when hardening and heat treating the face of it.

With a block that big, even if it's a little soft, there's plenty of material to just hit it with a belt sander and get the dings out every few years =P

Now if only I could find a source of scrap steel near me so I'd have more stock to work with =)

Jmercier: Yes, the mass and flatness of the block are it's chief advantages. I have a 500 pound and a 260 pound anvil as my primary shop anvils, so the block doesn't get a lot of HARD use. It is great as a solid small table for straightening and fitting when adjusting is necessary, without a lot of beating. Much better than using the layout table for that sort of thing. As a horizontal surface, it has a bad habit of collecting things, though. :p