I Forge Iron

tools for tool making

Hey yall,

As some of you know, I live next to the largest old order mennonite community in the country, and with that they buy a lot of good quality wood working tools.

So with that being said, I have decided to try to shift the bulk of my smithing from rustic home furnishings, to tools.

The way I plan on doing this is to learn how to make one specific tool, then practice until I can make a "perfect" tool every time, then market it, and learn how to make another tool.

The first tool I am going to learn how to make is a axe, becuase I know several of the mennonites, and from what they have told me, they go throught more axes then a teenager will go throught electronics :).

I have read a good bit on making axes, but there is one tool that from what I have read, I am missing, and that is a mandrel for forming the handle hole. Is there a place where I can buy one, or do I have to make it myself? Are there any other specialty tools needed for axe making?

thanks yall,
Trip

Since there are dozens of possible handle holes for the dozens of possible axe designs I suggest you consult your possible clientele for their preferred one(s). then you are most likely going to have to build your own drift, perhaps a combo slit and drift. Using a high alloy steel like H13 or S7 will make it more expensive but a lot longer lasting---you may want to experiment with a plain high carbon steel like 5160 and make the final version after you discover what's the best pattern for you.

I own a bunch of different axes and no two of them have the same handle eye.

One thing I like when making a drift is to ,as Thomas said above,,select what size and shape hole I want,,but also I like to have a handle in hand so I can make the drift for the hatchet, hamme,r hot cut or wotever I am making. When finished I can replace the handle with a minimum of fuss. That is a good sales idea for you also. i have not made and axe but same same..get ahandle make a drift, done deal.

For production, matching commercially available handles is a good move. Assuming also that your client likes those handles.

If you're making the handles yourself I'd go with something rectangular. I can't see why rectangular holes aren't more common since it's much easier to cut wood square than to a sculpted ovoid like 99.99% of them out there. Heck even if it were a rectangle with rounded corners it'd be less work to fit than the traditional.

The other side of the argument is to see what your client considers perfect. Odds are that they'll replace handles themselves. How do they proceed? There's a video on youtube of Grunsfors axe making. They use a press to set the handle and wedges all in one go. Might be worth considering that as well if you're going to make a great volume of them.