I Forge Iron

Teaching a friend or two

Howdy guys,
I've been a knifemaker in NYC for a few years now, and periodically teach a friend how to make a knife. I'm setting up my forge in a new shop, large enough to have a friend or two join me for some forging fun, and was wondering what the protocol is when teaching. Keep in mind it's not a formal class, but besides liability paperwork what else should I gather up?
The shop belongs to a small business, so they may be able to help me out... if I knew exactly what I needed, haha.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated,
Theo

Let's see, blacksmithing is hot, heavy, sharp, or dangerous. Then you add knives, sharp and pointy things to the mix. What could go wrong? (grin)

Have everyone sign a waiver.

List all the body parts you can do without, left ear lobe, right pinkie toe etc
At the end of the list have them sign and print their name.

Under that is
I understand that it is my personal responsibility to protect all items not listed above.
Then have them sign and print their name.

This is in addition to any other waiver or contract your attorney may suggest. In todays world everybody is friends until someone gets hurt and thinks they deserve paid. In your case there is also a business involved, so cover all your bases well.

one of the most overlooked pieces of paperwork goes along with policy...no not the insurance policy. It has to do with not only acceptance.of responsibility but understanding what is going on and how it may affect their lives. They must understand that a mistake on their part can cause themselves pain or worse.