I Forge Iron

81lb Lakeside

I was hoping for some assistance on how much to ask for a 81lb Lakeside I have. Looking on ebay most in that weight range are set at about 400 buy it now, plus 100 shipping. but if people were willing to pay that the anvil wouldnt still be on ebay... so... should I be asking about the same? should I ask about the same as that price plus the shipping? any advice here? Thanks

post-12133-0-82708600-1348015540_thumb.j

post-12133-0-47225000-1348015564_thumb.j

post-12133-0-85466400-1348015590_thumb.j

We're in an area where there are few nice anvils and so the prices here are high. However, it wouldn't get much attention for that sized anvil at $400. More like $250-300 here too. Your area, Ohio would probably be a better place for buying anvils so they might not command as high a price.
Its a nice anvil but its a small anvil which is useful for portability and good for beginners. One problem people have with ebay is they look at what someone is asking or hoping to get. You really need to look at the completed auctions for a better estimator of the market price. Also, you have really well established sellers on ebay like matchless antiques who can command much higher prices than your average seller. They have a reputation which makes the big buyers comfortable that they will get what is shown rather than get ripped off. Even then they won't get final prices like you are thinking you might get for the small anvil. For example, if you have an ebay account you can look at this 121lb anvil HB anvil for some idea of price- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-121-lb-HAY-BUDDEN-ANVIL-Blacksmith-Forge-/120964784179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a102033
In any case its a nice anvil and I'm sure you'll do well selling it.

Several Ways you can go:

Price it high on Thursday and drop it through the event. (say $3 a pound Friday, $2.50 Saturday; $2 Sunday)

Look over the tailgating and then price it accordingly---remembering that as a small anvil there's a bonus on price.

Put a price you are happy with and don't worry about someone re-selling it for more.