I Forge Iron

My recent forgings

quint

Have been doing some forging and trying to practice as much as possible. Ive got a few types of metals on hand, was basically trying out different stuff. I think I am gonna stick with W2 for a while, forges relatively easy for me and I want to try some hamons. Right now Ive been really concentrating on getting the blades straight and getting a relatively smooth surface free from most hammer marks and what not. I need to work on getting the actual blade profiled more while forging so I need to remove less on the grinder but I think I really need to focus on getting the first parts down then move on to another part. Atleast thats my thoughts right now.

The two larger ones are from 1/4" W2, I have begun profiling the one blade , the smaller middle one was the last piece of 1084 I had and the little scandi is some 8670M I picked up a little while ago (think it was 3/16" or 1/4"). I forged that little guy pretty thin and actually got the shape decent before taking it to the grinder but forgot to get pics.

Ill update as I make more progress with these projects. Critique and what not always welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

post-26117-0-49600700-1347495604_thumb.j

post-26117-0-35729500-1347495610_thumb.j

post-26117-0-27699300-1347495616_thumb.j

post-26117-0-73275500-1347495622_thumb.j

Getting blades straight and attaining a nice surface free of hammer marks is a great way to work. I can offer one thing you may wish to try or not....make a pattern of the blade you wish to forge. Sheet steel works fine. As you work the blade you can lay the pattern over it now and then to see where to move metal...To me this really helps you learn how to move metal in a direction you wish it to. (or maybe it is too close to coloring within the lines?)
I will give it a look in the knife chat late next month.

Thanks guys and good idea Rich. My first couple of knives I made some templates to look at but was still struggling with the other aspects of it all. I think now that I have gotten a little better at this part Ill take the suggestion and start trying to actually accomplish the pattern I want it to be in the end.