I Forge Iron

18th century cookware set

Trip

Hey yall,

Since I have been working on my log house, I haven't had much time to do some "new" just for fun projects in the shop.
I am wanting to do all the iron work for my log house (right down to forged nails for the flooring), I know it's a pretty big under taking, but it will be a showcase of my work.
Right now I am working on a 18th century cook ware set, so far I have forged out a roasting fork and the wall hanger.

Here is a pic attached

I am wanting to make a ladle for the set, but I don't know how to make one. Any of y'all know how?

Thanks,
Trip

post-1-0-45198100-1347397091_thumb.jpg

There are many ways with everything from monolithic construction to forge welding, forge brazing or even riveting the bowl to the handle. As real wrought iron was used at that timeperiod, (modern mild steel starting around the 1850's with the Bessemer/Kelly process), a lot of quite delicate forge welding was done---much harder to do with modern materials.

Riveting is the easiest method.

Monolithic would be to take a piece of stock large enough to make the ladle bowl, isolate the bowl section and forge down the rest for the handle---definitely better with use of a powerhammer!

As always, Thomas makes a lot of good sense, riveting is a good way to go.

If you wish to try two somewhat more difficult methods you can:
1) Take a larger piece of stock and either draw out the handle, or draw out enough of the handle to allow you to forge weld the stub to a longer and narrower handle than the ladle part.
2) Or you can enlarge the end of the stock by either upsetting or forge welding. For example, you can roll up or fold over one end, forge weld the resulting mass into one lump, then you have enough material to forge the end out into a ladle or spoon.

For better or worse, there tends to be numerous ways to smith stuff. Ask 20 different smiths and you might end up with 20 different answers. ;-)

post-74-0-32772300-1347418661_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-51425700-1347418688_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-16366800-1347418716_thumb.jpg

This set is an unfinished fork and spoon, not necessarily "colonial." I wanted to share something I've done on the reverse of the implements. I use a set hammer at a slight angle to create the raised strengthening rib (or tongue) which makes a transition between thick and thin. There is less chance of the utensil cracking or breaking in use. Tom Bredlow showed me this years ago. The colonial silversmiths did this on silver spoons. I have not seen it on an iron, colonial, round bowl spoon, but I like it. This transitional rib is seen on forged mason's trowels where the flat trowel blade goes into the thicker tang.

I would make a ladle similarly to the way I did the spoon. I used oversized flat stock, cut the end corners off, and fullered to start drawing the neck stub, the latter being welded to the shank/handle. Because the ladle has a bigger bowel than the spoon, I would hot cut the portion of the bowl leading into the neck stub. I started with 3/16" thick and hammered it to 1/16" thick. I set hammered the rib while I still had a little thickness to play with.

Most colonial spoons had round bowls, not egg shaped. The difference between spoon and ladle is the size of the bowl and the overall conformation. The ladle has an extreme S shape as compared to the straighter spoon. Many colonial forks had round section tines, not square nor flat cross-sectioned.

A friend, Tomas, lives in Naolinco, Vera Cruz, Mexico, and he struck for a smith who made a traditional, thin bladed hoe. I asked him what he started with. He said that it was a piece of scrap from the auto junk yard roughly 1/2" thick by 5" by 5". Being 'craftsmen of necessity,' they simply beat the heck out of it with repeated heats until it was sheet metal.

The strengthening ridge is very much like what Weygers used on his wood carving gouges and he even goes into details on making a custom die for a powerhammer to get them in "The Complete Modern Blacksmith"

Frank at one of the water powered smithies I visited in Germany they had a video of a fellow making a hoe from 2" sq stock: Heat, take over to the board drop hammer---WHOMP one side started. Reheat and do the other side. Then use the powerhammer to draw out the stubs into the sides leaving a ridge down the middle for strength. Easy if you have the big equipment! It was a smithy that specialized in agricultural tools (and a smithy had been in that spot since the 1400's IIRC; but was now a museum---unfortunately)

Well this mornin I forged out a bread loaf spatula to go with the set. Here is a link to the pic http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/kyblacksmith/?action=view&current=96b806d60f42e24cf07d22b624d32f2d.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

As soon as I finish my evenin cup of coffee, I will make a ladle............ I hope lol

Trip

Well I just finished the ladle, so that means that the set is complete.

Here is a photo of the finished product. http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/kyblacksmith/?action=view&current=008d4bd17db9ee0ea36b885172447ada.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

What do y'all think?

Ttyl,
Trip

Looking good. I like the shape and proportions of the pieces. The whole set and hanger seem to fit each other. I'm just not a huge fan of glossy finish on smithed items. I'm sure the shine will wear off, but if it's what you like then like it and keep it that way. I hope to get a weather vane posted soon and everyone can have a crack at my work.