I Forge Iron

Need guidance on what to do for forge.

Krimble

Hey guys, the other day I made a small forge, but it was too deep, and did not have a big enough diameter. It did burn good tough, I was not paying enough attention, and I accidentally melted a piece of rebar.

IMAG0424.jpg

So I made a new forge, wich was this, but it does not really work well. The wood was too close to the forge and it burns a little, and the coal is not deep enough. The table is nice though, but If I ever do another design, I will patch it up and use it to put tools and other miscellaneous things on it.

539.jpg

I looked at Glenn's 55 gallon forge blueprint, and heard good thing about it, I have a smaller drum, but I have a feeling that it would be better than my other forges. What do you guys think would be better?

012.jpg

I really appreciate any help I can get, because I want to finish up the forge and worry abut the tools and anvils after.
I might also ask a local blacksmith, there's going to be a demo next Sunday. Can't wait! :D

The original 55 Forge was just a hole in the bottom of a 55 gallon drum large enough for a piece of pipe (2-1/4 inch exhaust pipe) to stick through, and a window cut in the side of the drum to work through. A piece of 1/4 in round bar went across the pipe (through holes) and both held it in place as well as acting as a grate. A T in the pipe let air in and provided a section to collect ash, The down pipe was about 18 inches long to hold ash. Dump the ash on a regular basis so you do not cover the air inlet.

For those that want a simpler design, place an air pipe about 3/4 inch diameter about 3-4 inches off the bottom the forge. Add fuel, add air and you have a side blast forge. Ash and clinker collect below the fire so no need for an ash dump.

Clay mud is a wonderful media and can be used to mold all manner of designs. Use it and play. The one thing I found was that the shape of the fire pot greatly influenced the shape of the fire. I have worked with fire pots from 4 inches to 14 inches in diameter and each forge has it's own personality and way it works best. Learn what that is and use it to your advantage.

Do not be afraid to experiment. Your first forge is just that, the FIRST forge that you can use while you think up a better design. I have two forges of different designs that have two distinctly different heat patterns. No one ever said you could have only ONE forge. (grin).

From experience, I would skip the wooden table. A consideration might be to get a washing machine lid, put it on the wood frame and use it as you would the 55 drum forge. It works on the same concept with the added benefit that you will have more table space. If it needs more support so it won't sag, put some bed-frame angle iron around the edges, or some bar stock along the middle of the sheet steel, for some added support. With some clay atop it, you'll find that your forge will be quite servicable.