I Forge Iron

post leg vise ID please

wolfb

It's a post vise; *most* of them are not marked as to maker as they were made by hundreds of small shops all over the world!

So not knowing what country you are in: Australia?, South Africa?, Canada? we have no clue even where to start.---why we suggest people list their *general* location in their profile as so many blacksmithing questions are location dependent.

Well it's not Germany/Austria/Eastern Europe style. More of the UK, US, style.

Clean it up and look on the front of the moving jaw, down on the flat side of the back leg, and on the side of the screwbox for faint stampings.

You will find that a no-name vise in good condition out performs a Named, top of the line vise in bad condition. Rather like would you prefer to have a totaled Ferrari or a mint Ford Pickup to get around in?

Yours has the "pretty" beveled legs and looks to be of the stouter construction. (you can find vises of the same size jaws that differ quite a bit in weight and or height. A light one is nice for traveling, a heavy one is good for the shop---actually a range is good for the shop. I have a heavy 6" about 6' away from a light 4" vise)

Places to look for markings are on the screw box peter wrights are marked here. Also on the leg just under the pivot I have a William Foster vise marked as such with a crown and the word foster under it. I also have a vise marked on the front jaw with V W & W H Co. AKA Van Wagoner & Williams Hardware Co.