I Forge Iron

1904 P.H. Paper written by H.F. Massey

"Some Recent Developements In Power Hammers" By H.F. Massey 1904 on Google Books

I thought this was interesting. So far I've only looked over the section on spring hammers. Its to bad some of the figures/plates seem to be missing from both copies of it scanned on google books. In particular I'ld be interesting in seeing fig. 5 & 6 of the improved spring hammer.

i cant work out how to read it..... :blink:

The paper and figures were links from google books. I just checked into it and google says they restrict who can view certain books by the country their IP adress comes from do to certain copyright laws or something like that.

Sorry! I didn't realize they did that :(

I opened it and can read it, but it eludes me as to how to print it. Can anyone help?

From google books you can save it as a PDF onto your computer and print it from there. Not sure if there is another way. Click on the drop down next to the gear shaped icon to find the save as PDF option. The file for the Massy paper is about 3.5 MB in size.

I've downloaded it before so it is possible.

This download link should work:
http://books.google.com/books/download/Transactions_Manchester_Association_of_E.pdf?id=ROY0AAAAMAAJ&output=pdf&sig=ACfU3U3fGyfv0Pf6TDMOvjpfMxlxMXv3Pg

It will ask you to answer one of those jumbled up word questions to make sure your a real person and not a computer program.

Sorry Will but your link doesn't work from France, so I doubt it will work from Australia, I think the 'US proxy stuff' is necessary :unsure:
I didn't pay attention that even you John L in the US could not download it, that's strange, I can when passing through a US-proxy...
Have a try with the link underneeth, it may not work for a long time as free-proxy dot fr allways sends me a different list of proxies for several countries...
http://facebookproxie.info/surf.php?u=Oi8vYm9va3MuZ29vZ2xlLmZyL2Jvb2tzL2Rvd25sb2FkL1RyYW5zYWN0aW9uc19NYW5jaGVzdGVyX0Fzc29jaWF0aW9uX29mX0UucGRmP2lkPVJPWTBBQUFBTUFBSiZobD1mciZjYXBpZD1BRkxSRTcxbXdyMUVwdXBiQWZ6QWxrZ2szdG9IYUN6Qi05ZTY1Qi1XZGZnU2RkcHlscjVlaGlqM0lWTG1vVWFKTk1rYXEzNXJFckdSRUJCMzNzc01kZ09vM0xLRHFCS0JJdyZjb250aW51ZT1odHRwOi8vYm9va3MuZ29vZ2xlLmZyL2Jvb2tzL2Rvd25sb2FkL1RyYW5zYWN0aW9uc19NYW5jaGVzdGVyX0Fzc29jaWF0aW9uX29mX0UucGRmJTNGaWQlM0RST1kwQUFBQU1BQUolMjZobCUzRGZyJTI2b3V0cHV0JTNEcGRm&b=0

• 1 month later...

This document by Mr. Massey is a must read for all truly serious students of power hammers. It places the steam hammer near the top of the heap of all power hammers and discusses merits and flaws of most all basic styles. I have successfully printed the document using Wiil. K.'s second suggested link. Thank you Will. K. for bringing this document into view for this forum.

I've noticed that Google Books can have several copies of some books. I think there are at least two copies of this paper. One is missing a page or two so if you find you have that version you may need to try one of the other copies to read the missing pages.

I checked the copies I had already downloaded and in one the pages for the plates were totally missing and in the other they were messed up as you mentioned. Both the copies I have downloaded were digitized from University of Michigan copies. I did some more searching on google books as well and found another copy digitized from the NY public library but the pages were messed up as well.

I'll keep hunting.

• 2 months later...

wow!!!  what a great link !!!! thanks!!..as mentioned  i had probs with plates 17,18,and 19 as well   a shame,but still a great resource...that 1st spring hammer seems to me to be more like a eariler spring hammer   than a later one like the champion....sure they work the same way  but in the plate pictured that hammer was built far heavier like a williams and white , belden, or a scranton....champion,the perfect ,star, the boss(and others i'm sure) where all lighter forms of those hammers...ive owned both a novelty ironworks boss 25lb and a champion no1 65lb  great hammers !!!  no doubt!!! love them!! so if you like/ love that style find a ww or scranton and prepare to be amazed!!!.........   btw  is anyone out there running any niles air /steam hammers in the 300 to 400lb range ??