I Forge Iron

First attempt at a knife... failed due to cracking?

jwillhite

now the bad,.. you over heated it.

Pretty knew to this, I understand you can "burn" steel by getting it too hot wasn't aware it was possible to cause cracking that way though. I've been getting it between glowing red and yellow hot... guess it should be more red then yellow?

Thanks!

Colors and how we see them are a big problem to folks learning on this and other sites. Your yellow may not be the same as wot anyone else sees. And wot yoiu see is greatly influenced by the ambient light where you work. In the bright sunshine.it may not look near hot enough and may in fact almost be sparkly burning hot. At night in a dark shop a dull red may seem hot enouigh to forge and not be. Keep an eye out for the return of the knife chat here in late October.

being red and green Color blind and All shades in be tween I have all sorts of issues in the forge . However I have learned through many years what color is right for me and working with steel .good luck and have your eyes checked so you will know it it is an issue for you as well . I am not saying you have bad eyes just a thought as it was my problem for over heating many Blades .

Sam