I Forge Iron

Got the 25# LG home in one piece

Three hour drive each way to go get the new LG 25# hammer of the transitional style.

Having never been converted over to electric motor- It doesn't look like it has seen much use or abuse.
Looked like decades of non-use.

Once I got home I gave her a quick wipe down to get a better look at things.
With just a quick shot of oil she spins nicely using one hand.... :)

Think the dies are original?

post-25745-0-86393700-1343189899_thumb.j

post-25745-0-60972300-1343189907_thumb.j

post-25745-0-37684900-1343189915_thumb.j

Sir,

Good looking hammer. I'm almost sure your right on the dies. They might be a little short, check out Little Giants website for proper height. The only thing I can see from the pictures that might cause a problem in how low the cross head (mickey mouse ears) is sitting on the pitman (the bronze fitting on the front). I'd flip this over allowing more adjustment.

Congratulations on the new hammer.

Dave from Diller

She's a beauty!

I'm tempted to buy one to stick in the corner and look pretty till I move in two years. I gotta stick to anvils and a forging press to keep the neighbors happy. What am thinking? Forget the neighbors!!!

Happy for you. You are amassing a nice collection of tools. All the better that they are all old and full of history! Well done!

I'm tempted to buy one to stick in the corner and look pretty till I move in two years.
I gotta stick to anvils and a forging press to keep the neighbors happy.

That's kind of where I am too- I'm finding awesome deals too good to pass up even though I may not be able to use them right now.
When I do move, I know I would be mad at myself looking back if I had passed up buying some of these things....

The only thing I can see from the pictures that might cause a problem in how low the cross head (mickey mouse ears) is sitting on the pitman (the bronze fitting on the front). I'd flip this over allowing more adjustment.

Dave from Diller

I don't think that one is bronze. The only ones I have seen in bronze are the split type with a cap that bolts on. That one has a bronze bushinng inside a cast steel pitman. Turning the crosshead over is sometimes a good thing but, you have to watch that the connecting links don't hit the wrap around guide. That guide is cast iron will break easily and is not avaible from Sid.

Turning the crosshead over is sometimes a good thing but, you have to watch that the connecting links don't hit the wrap around guide. That guide is cast iron will break easily and is not avaible from Sid.

I just talked to Sid and he mentioned watching out for this too- I sent him some pictures for him to look at and he would provide any pointers he can notice.
He said I should use my 1.5hp motor on it.
This old girl was made in 1939, sold to a Henry Guelig in New Holstein, Wisconsin.
I think this hammer has spent its entire life in the cheesehead state...

Good catch peacock. I noticed the cast ram guide and forgot about the pitman. Thanks

Black frog you can't go wrong calling Sid on these.

Here's the trick I use with my neighbors. I run my hammers on Sunday mornings when everyone's in church or should be. Just a thought.

Dave from Diller