I Forge Iron

Sure has always been a lot of talk about a stump stand. Unfortunately for me I have used few stump mounted anvils. If my anvil was mounted in a stump and at the right height to me I most likely would be as happy as anyone could be. Then if I went over to cusin Joe's place and his anvil felt better...then that is what I would want.

I have a sand filled trapezoid stand that I liked rather well...very heavy to move and quiet. Then I went to wide angled three legged things that can dance like a 4 year old. Since then I have learned about the steep angled three legged things from Brian Brazeal and am well impressed. I do not think it is the answer for everyone. With the three-legged stand you can get really close if you need too...unlike my sand filled trapezoid. My sand filled trapezoid is still smaller than many folks wooden stumps..from those pictures that I have seen.

Many people here on this forum will consider the situation a Ford vs Chev comparison...so what is your favorite?
Perhaps Glenn will post an inquirey like the hammer handle question. That would be interesting information for all of us to see.

Carry on

Well a wooden stump sure makes a nice demo when discussing Hot and Cold and that to a blacksmith, cold can be awfully hot! OTOH a steel stand that you can toss on the truck with one hand and stick a 5 gallon bucket of tools under it is nice in some ways too.

Go not to the Elves for advice for they shall say both yea and nay....

Thanks for all the posts! I wasn't expecting this much discussion, and it's been a wonderful surprise to see such an involved community!

I'm afraid I can't tell you what anvil it is since I wasn't around when it was bought and honestly, I've been so excited about forging I've forgotten to check. I don't recall it having any markings either, and I haven't checked the rebound, which I want to do at some point.

I guess at this point I'm at this "if it works, it works" situation where the sound really isn't that bad. I will definitely angle-iron bolt the anvil down and put some wood base and see how that affects the noise. I'll let you know, and perhaps do a slight video of the noise it is making :)

I thought about the three-legged design, but it would've taken time and money for me to find plate that thick. So I went for the angle-iron, out of which I'll also be doing the support for a steel tabletop. I think the angle might be a little too vertical on the legs. The bottom line is:
- I've forged on it, dragged it around an uneven, broken concrete floor and it was not even remotely close
- I've dragged it around an uneven, broken concrete floor without risk of toppling
- I've barely noticed the sound while forging (although I know it can get better)

It's hard to get on the bottom horizontal stabilisers for upsetting more easily because of the low angle, but hey, I'm happy :)

I'd definitely like to try a stump, but it won't work on the floor I have to work with. It probably deadens the ring real nice though!

I also used my anvils on stumps on uneven floors - you can always find a position where they will stay ok, just move them around a bit, you should find it within tenths of centimeters range. another trick is to to nail three pieces of wood on the stump's bottom, or maybe three flat steel cut-offs, so you'll have llike a 3 legged stump. I done it on one of my stumps to get it to the right height and at the same time to adapt at the uneven floor.

your anvil looks too well done and too big to be just an ASO. also the condition it seems to good for an ASO if it was already used.