I Forge Iron

Hardy hole size and tools

I picked up what we determined to be a sodofors anvil for sure after I cleaned it up some. I measured the hardy hole and I think it is 1 1/4" and all the tools that go in there are either 3/4 or 1". Will the 1" tools work ok with my anvil.

Sorry this may be a simple rookie question but I am just starting out and dont really know much, I am sure there will be plenty more.

Thanks all.

Same with the tubing---hacksaw the corners down about 1/2" and then heat them and fold them out 90 deg so the adapter can just be dropped into the hardy hole and will rest on the fold outs---helps keep strange tooling from wallowing out the hardy hole too as any damage it does is to the easily replaced adapter!

My shop anvil has 1.5" hardy holes and I had to double sleeve it to get down to 1" to share tools with my smaller anvils.

One trick I learned is to buy old top tooling with badly mushroomed striking areas and grind/forge it to fit the hardy hole as cheap bottom tooling. (Fellow at Quad-State the last couple of times with a mound of old tooling that gets cheaper every day has supplied me with a bunch of such tools...the last day in particular!) my large screw press is very helpful in making nice parallel sides on old top tools!