I Forge Iron

is this ok?

I've been given advice by you great guys here to radius the edge of this anvil. I will get it done today or tomorrow hopefully. But of course, another newbie question.

The damage on the edge goes into the face, I measured, about a 1/2".

Is it going to be ok to radius this far into the face?

Check the pics out to see what Im talking about.

Thanks.

post-26244-0-19329500-1342364992_thumb.j

post-26244-0-62077100-1342365035_thumb.j

post-26244-0-04377800-1342365076_thumb.j

Overall, the edges look good and I wouldn't dress them up at all. Let the scale and hot iron do the work as you learn to smith.

That chunk that looks like it wants to pop off is a bit disconcerting, however. I had a similar problem on an anvil and took the angle grinder to it because I didn't want the crack to migrate with the hammer blows.

I would take a hammer to that area and listen for changes in the tone of the ring. If that small piece sounds different than the rest of the face, you know you have delamination of the top plate. But I'd be real interested if there is unseen delamination further into the anvil.

Grinding that area away won't hurt you one bit. I'd be leery about grinding the entire edge to such a large radius, but that one small area could come in handy.

Hey Justin,

Have you considered turning the anvil around and using the other edge?

Some guys have the horn on the left and some on the right, most have it on the left, but if you turned the anvil around and had it on the right then the main edge you would be using would be the one that looks very clean.

Beyond that, I would like to second not grinding that edge, except for that cracked chunk. That has a danger of shooting off with a hard blow or cracking further into the anvil.

Mainly, USE it first. If sections of the anvils edge leaves marks on the work, then smooth out the sharp bits of that edge, if not then it is OK.

Caleb Ramsby