I Forge Iron

Punches and Slitters Stock

I need to make some hand tools and will have to order some stock as only mild steel is locally available. I will be working on mild steel only to begin with. Sizes will be 3/4" to 1/4". I am considering 4140 but am open to suggestions. Price is a concern. What size stock should I order?

If cost is a criteria, use scrap auto (coil) springs. Usually you can get them for free from repair shops. If they have been torched, remember that the burned end is no go so cut it off while processing. Aneal and forge as required and then heat treat the business end. I have made dozens of chisels, slitters and punches out of scrap springs as well as tong sets. When the tools get beat up, and they will, you can either reforge them or make new ones. Good luck scrounging.

Peter

Going to any conferences this year? I'd try to source some H13 or S7 but it would be fairly pricy buying it commercially. OTOH I've seen some reasonable at Quad-State most every year I've been there.

Any plastic injection molding plants near you? I've bought some H13 pins used to push out moldings at conference before.

One thing to keep your eye peeled for are old used up machine shop tooling like reamers. A couple of years ago I bought a bucket of 3/4" and 5/8" HSS reamers that had been scrapped by a machine shop. I have made a few punches out of those and they seem to hold up well. On the long ones I usually cut and discard the working end but have also just forged the flutes down and used them as the held end . I have been known to reforge steel salvaged from pick axes for tooling.

But if you do order up some steel go with H13 or S7 and buy less if necessary to suppliment the tools made from salvaged materials. If I were to order, I would go with 3/4"and forge the working end to whatever size you need. The advantage of a larger stock is that when your tool is struck the larger stock feels more solid in the hand giving less vibration . However these steels are hard to forge by hand so get a sample and try it out before commiting to a bunch if it.