I Forge Iron

First post. I'd like some advice.

I just bought an old Mouse Hole anvil around 180lb for a price I wasn't comfortable passing up. It has a great sound and appears to have great rebound but the face looks bad along one edge. The only way I have to repair it would be with hard surface welding rods but I don't want to make it worse or ruin it completely.

Should I try to repair it or just dress it up and use it?

IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg

No need to repair,
Just give it a dress up with a flap disc on an angle grinder (take the mushroomed edges off and smooth out the radius on the edges. then use as is - there is plenty of lifetimes left in that anvil just the way it is with a little dressing. Once you know how to make steel move, you'll be able to work around any inprefections in that anvil easily. It's a fine looking anvil and there has benn great work done on anvils that are in alot worse shape. - Just my honest opinion - Jeremy K

Is that the 1830's version of the Mousehole? I have a 180 lb Mousehole. I cleaned it up and used it for a year. Mine had a real bad sag in the center. In fact, I just replaced the Mousehole (yesterday!) with a 400lb+ Trenton. But that Mousehole is a tough anvil. Enjoy!

Is that the 1830's version of the Mousehole? I have a 180 lb Mousehole. I cleaned it up and used it for a year. Mine had a real bad sag in the center. In fact, I just replaced the Mousehole (yesterday!) with a 400lb+ Trenton. But that Mousehole is a tough anvil. Enjoy!

I'm assuming (yea, I know) it's a 1914. It has "1.2.14" stamped in the side under the name.

The 1.2.14 means is weighs 182 lbs
1x112 + 2x28 +1x14
The first number is the hundredweight - 112 lbs this number can be 0 to who knows. Yours is 1 so it = 112
Second is quarter of hundredweight - 28 lbs , this number will be 0 to 3. Your second number is 2 so there are 2 x 28 = 56
The third number is single pounds and will be 0 to 27. Yours is 14 so it = 14.

112+56+14 = 182 pounds

The anvil is about 175 years old, I believe.

Playing a round yesterday, I noticed that the center of the face has a different tone than the heel or the edge closest to the horn. It's not a flat tone, just not as crisp as the other sides. Anything I should be worried about?

Not likely---if you can do enough work on it to cause problems we will be amazed and envious!

And if you do ever want to repair it as per the first post read up on the Rob Gunter method of anvil repair. (Tis a pity that all you have is hardfacing rod as plain old 7018 is what you should use, never knew a weldor that didn't have some plain rod around and only had the fancy stuff...)