I Forge Iron

Welding in movies/TV shows

Hey folks, quick question. Am I the only one that kind of twitches when I see a character in a movie or show incorrectly using a welding torch? Or some other kind of welding equipment/PPE? From the blatantly obvious like TIG welding with goggles? Or the more subtle, such as a cutting torch being able to saw an inch thick door down in 30 seconds and just one pass? Just thought I'd ask.

Nope, you are not alone. Movies take so many liberties because most people know no difference. I always like the blacksmith and the hot iron that is yellow 6 inches from his bare hand. Or heat, hit, quench, heat, hit, quench, hit, etc.....

And PPE! "We don't need no stinkin PPE!"

Entertainment at its dumbest.

I always like the background in industrial settings: A bunch of guys on a scaffold or some such multi-level setting, all with 9" grinders and/or cutting torches just to mindlessly make large showers of sparks :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

I like when they hit the anvil hard then tap the work.....then the anvil hard and tap the work.

As to the "Full Monty" film... Language Alert

Note the stick welder...and the "her mix is off".....what more can be said?

Ric