I Forge Iron

wood floors

My next shop now has dual mode floors 20x30 concrete and 20x30 dirt. I notice a definite difference working on the dirt floor with my feet and back much happier. OTOH I worked 20 years on a concrete floor and survived and it is much easier to move equipment around on.

My first shop had a wooden frame floor. I didn't have a problem with burning the floor because I put down cement board in the area where the forge was and where I might weld or cut with the torch. The problem I did have was the bounce when I was hammering forcefully on the anvil or treadle hammer. The whole building would begin to flex, floor and walls included. Loose items would bounce around and items would fall off shelves. My new shop has a 6 inch concrete floor. I have very comfortable work boots and haven't notice a back, hip or knee problem. If it comes up, I have a pad to put down.

the problem with most concrete shop floors is not the concrete floor it is what pat roy has brought up it is the shoes or boots on the feet that cause most problems. "if the foundation sucks the building sucks" shoes/boots are your bodies foundation and shock absorbers.
my family started a blacksmith/machine shop in 1903 and always had concrete floors. the floors did get covered with grease oil scale and everything else. but they always had good boots.

I have wood floor between my anvil and my fire. I believe wood floors were popular for shoeing rooms. I have no problem with what wood floor I have. The puffs of smoke let me know where the little bits of offcut have landed!
I would repeat that concrete floors are harder on the feet. If you have a concrete floor, you'll need good boots (see post above)!