I Forge Iron

Excited Newbi

xfootdoc

As I near the end of a 37 year career as a Podiatrist, teaching foot and ankle surgery I look forward to learning how to make metal "dance " and do my bidding. I have spent some time over the years fabricating/welding and building various objects of metal but have always had a desire to learn blacksmithing. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and would appreciate any advice regarding classes or teachers. I will be willing to travel anywhere and spend as much time as it will take to learn solid basics so that I could then strike out on my own (pardon the pun) to further my knowledge and express any artistic ability I may have. Who has the best classes for beginners? I hope some day to be able to show off some of my work. Thanks............Alan

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Since you are in Ca. you need to hook up with the CBA=California Blacksmith Assoc. www.calsmith.org Check out their web site to know when they have their meetings and GO! Mark Aspery is the man to go to in CA. He has 2 Excellent books out now for the blacksmith that you will want in your library....after you move out some of those books on feet. I'm not sure how he does classes but you can contact him for that info. Also, I highly recommend Brian Brazeal in Miss. He will be one of the main demonstrators at the ABANA conf in Rapid City, SD next month...BTW check here for info to that!! www.abana.org There will be some of the top smiths in the country demonstrating as well as working in the 'teaching tent'. (I believe that Mark Aspery is heading that up) there is a $50.00 early registration discount if you reg. for the conf by June 20!! so get with it!! You won't find anything else that will inspire to to further your skills than what you will find at this conf.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, grab a cold drink, something to eat and above all else let someone know where you are. Then hit the archives and read all the info here on IFI. We have members from over 150 world wide countries that contribute to this store room of knowledge and we look forward to reading and SEEING about your work. If you would, how about updating your profile and adding your general location. this will inable us to give you a heads up on activity in your neck of the woods weither it be for a new tool or a meeting. Again, welcome and enjoy!