I Forge Iron

New hobbyist in the PNW

nytewulf

I've waited two years with various pieces of equipment silently staring at me from my shed. I purchased a basic smithing kit online over two years ago. The 75lb farrier's anvil was purchased over a year ago. And this February, I finally purchased a Whisper Deluxe 2-burner. Due to a shed full of random stuff needing sorting and selling, I have only just gotten up and running about two weeks ago.

Unfortunately, I'm working with scraps and spikes rather than bar stock, but this is totally new to me and those were cheap. I've been lurking here for a few and I look forward to having such an awesome skill base to ask questions of.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Here is the site for the good folks up in Washington>> http://blacksmith.org/forums/content/ Join them! They love newbies and you will learn ;) Again, welcome and enjoy the site...also, incase you haven"t heard, we LIKE pictures!!

I have a cousin that lives in Bothel!! Her husband works for the fire dept. I was born in Seattle....many moons ago... Beautiful country, hope to see it again sometime.

a good place to pickup some stock is in snohomish called whitesides they are on highway 9 and are in clearview ...(basically a spot in the road heading to snohomish) tell um Eric the blacksmith sent you (it wont help on price but they probably remember me). i am up in that neiborhood every year before the Puyallup fair ... good luck and you might want to join the nwba ... found um to be most helpful.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. I have relatives who do or did live in or near Brothell (local nickname back when). Hook up with the NWBA, they're a large active group. It's been a loooong time since I spent any time in the Pac NW. so I can't be any help finding materials except to say there's plenty around. Heck, you'll find plenty of wrought iron in the Columbia and under the old piers in Puget Sound. At one time there were literally hundreds of steam ferries plying the sound and most only lasted a couple years before burning, exploding or just sinking. Low tide is good iron combing time but watch out for the mud on the incoming tide.

Frosty The Lucky.