I Forge Iron

Earthbox

Ron Hicks

This is for sure "Non-Metalworking"
I want to have a garden and where I live now is nothing but rock with grass on top.

I was looking on the net for ideas and came across a thing called an Earthbox.
EarthBox - Homegrown Vegetables Without A Garden
I didnt see spending all that money and found this
http://hometown.aol.com/jmalt31/myhomepage/Earthbox.PDF

Easy way to go- just keep water in it.

Looked good thought I would pass it on
Ron:D

There are lots of alternatives to gardening with no topsoil. One is to make raised beds with railroad ties or rocks, then go to the nursery and buy topsoil to fill the box. Can also use half-whiskey barrels, this works well if you need to move stuff around the yard. A friend of mine uses 55 gallon soap barrels cut in half - same principle as the liquor barrels.

I have also seen a built-up bed that works pretty well if you have access to brush clippings. 2-3 inch diameter limb cuttings on the bottom, covered with smaller cuttings, covered with grass clippings, kitchen scraps and leaf debris, covered with top soil and finally, covered with black plastic sheet. Makes a mound about 18-24 tall at the peak. Cut "+" holes in the sheet and put plants in these locations. The hill eventually rots down to nothing but it takes a year or two. Low impact and allows you to keep the weeds out with the plastic.

I love fresh veggies...

A few years ago my Mom & Step father moved into a town house. No room for a garden and they love fresh tomatoes. We helped them with a few 5 gallon white pails some rock on the bottom potting soil on top mixed with manure and they grew fantastic tomatoes on the mini deck of the townhouse.
"The envy of the association" they have since progressed to all kinds of other stuff and Mom decorates the outside of the pails for looks!!!
Just another idea for getting it done.
Tim

Also came across another thing I had not seen.
They cut a hole in the bottom of a bucket hung up by the handle and grew tomatoes upside down. No staking
Never seen such
Upside down Tomatoes
I think I may try this
Garden Pest Control

Ron

Ron, That is a fantastic idea this guy had. thanks for sharing!
I am going to give it a try at moms, maybe even for my house, my wife loves tomatoes.
Tim