I Forge Iron

punch for round holes

Well I got an order for 48 wall hooks with 96 holes in them and finally got off my dead butt and made (with the help of a friend since we didn't have a power hammer at the fair) a short round punch with the realy flat point like Brian has shown us. I made it to grip in a pair of tongs with a tong clip and I think we punched about 60 of the holes with it and I only had to sharpen the point once (one too many hits on the first side). I made the punch out of sucker rod and had a pan of beezwax beside me to cool the punch. I AM A BELIEVER! I promise to use this technique on making punches in the future whenever possible. I had made and used some of the slit punches and they had all worked well but for the round holes I had not done it until last weekend (hadn't punched many holes). It helps you to find the hole that you marked cold, you can feel the punch line up. You can even correct an offset hole easily with this by making the first blow at a slight angle and straightening up on the following blows. when you punch the second side the punch self aligns as promised. I highly recomend that all of you try it if you havent.

THANK YOU Brian!

I knew I was going to regret not having a pic as soon as I posted it! Yes the pic of the punch on the left is the profile I used. It works extremely well. The one I made is short only about 2.5 inches long and has a tong groove around the shank behind the punch end with a striking surface isolated abouve that. I will try to get a pic this weekend. My punch end may even be a little flatter than the one Brian posted a pic of.