I Forge Iron

Phase 1 Complete

Hey guys I would first like to introduce myself, I am Rob and I have wanted to learn how to smith for a very long time. After reading many of the posts on here and studying Glenn's thread "What do you need to get started in blacksmithing" as well as the 55 forge I decided to get started. After a couple of hours I now have a crappy hole in the ground forge but I am pleased to say that it is my crappy hole in the ground forge. I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice on here and hopefully I will be smithing soon! Now on to Phase 2: Makeshift anvil and finding an experienced smith in my area.

Cheers,

Rob

A foot of railsteel will be enough to get you started. You'll want something that's hard and heavy as well as something sturdy and a good height to put it on (having an anvil too low or too high can really mess up your arm over time). I would also check out any local junkyards. Anvils are expensive and can be hard to find, but there's a lot of stuff out there you can use instead of one.

I'm using railsteel myself at the moment. Once I get my hands on some cutting equipment, I'm going to cut it down and shape a horn and a hardy on it. Look for things you can modify for more uses.

Yeah right now I am actually looking to find a nice chunk. There are not many junkyards around here and although my house sits right next to some tracks the only leftovers that are readily available are spikes (which I am eagerly collecting). I have been calling around so hopefully I will hear something soon.

I haven't been able to find any rail, so I went to a fab/welding shop and got two blocks for a36, they were 3"x4" and welded the on top of each other. No ting, no bounce back but works for now, thinking of getting a 70# $200+ farrier anvil... Then win the lotto and get a full sized blacksmith anvil...

Welcome aboard Rob, glad to have you. If your hole in the ground forge is crappy dig SOMEWHERE ELSE! Nothing wrong with using a ground fire so long as you aren't a fire hazard, I've done a LOT of forging in campfires and such.

A field expedient anvil can be tougher but it's not impossible at all, an axle buried flange up works fine. All you need is a surface a little larger than the hammer face and the deeper the steel under the hammer the better, it's called "depth of rebound." My best ever field expedient anvil was a large axle of some sort I found in a river. The bolt holes in the flange were extremely handy and the shaft made a dandy horn.

Keep at it Rob, improvising and scrounging is half the fun. Soon you'll be using tools you made with your own hands and wits, it's a soul deep satisfaction.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah right now I am actually looking to find a nice chunk. There are not many junkyards around here and although my house sits right next to some tracks the only leftovers that are readily available are spikes (which I am eagerly collecting). I have been calling around so hopefully I will hear something soon.

"Not many junkards around here".... Are you kidding? The grand PU-PAW of junkyards in that area is Joseph Fazzio's .... They have a yard in South Jersey somewhere, within 45 minutes of Wilmington, DE. I don't have a number for their New Jersey location, but they have a satellite location in New Castle, DE (302) 322-9960. Call them and get a phone number and directions to the New Jersey location.

I buy steel from the Delaware location frequently. I don't know what the New Jersey location has, but they used to have lots of steel also. Their prices are a lot higher than they used to be, but are probably still significantly lower than retail.