I Forge Iron

new anvil !!!!!

This is my new love. I did ALOT of manual labor to get it. I know it's in rough shape but I wouldn't trade it for a brand new one.
The problem is I don't know anything about it. The guy I got it from said it was
a 250lb Mousehole anvil but i can't find any markings on it whatsoever.
Can anyone help me out? It's about 30" long and 6" wide 13" tall with a 1 1/2" hardie hole. I think the pritchel hole is 5/8".
Thats another question i have.... i can't find any hardie tools with a 1 1/2" shank. I have tons of
1' square stock laying around but 1 1/2" is a little hard to come by. Should I try to make a bushing or
something to accept a 1" shank? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

post-19338-0-21381500-1336776297_thumb.j

post-19338-0-98537900-1336776314_thumb.j

It has the lines of an older english anvil of which Mousehole is only the best known in the USA of several hundred manufacturers in England who's anvil look a lot alike.

My main shop anvil has 2 1.5" sq hardy holes and I have done two separate things for tooling: 1: I found a piece of sq steel tubing that fits the hardy and sawed it on the end on the diagonals and bent back the flaps so it will drop in the hardy hole and stay---the flaps resting on the anvil face. Actually I did that twice with nesting tubing to get to the size of my common hardy tooling.

2: I have picked up mushroomed/beaten up top tools and removed the handles and forged the eye section to fit in the hardy hole---my screwpress is great for truing up parallel sides.

Every time I go to Quad-State I pick up a tool or two with either the thick shank or a top tool for only a couple of bucks apiece---top tools with wrecked tops or messed up eyes are cheap!

So with 2 hardy holes I leave one sleeved for 1" shanks and the other open for 1.5" tooling.