I Forge Iron

New guys forge build pics and a ? about ITC-100

Rob Garner

Update:

The good

It definitely gets to welding temp. Had a job come in to bend some 1" diameter 303 stainless at 90 degrees. Wasn't sure I could do it with the bender I have so I tested it with some 4140. Cut three pieces to 13" long and put them in the forge then lit it up. Took about 15-20 minutes to bring them to what I call bright orange. When I went to pull the first piece out it was stuck to the mild steel rack that I use to keep the stock off the forge floor. After getting it unstuck and out of the forge I noticed that it was sparking just a little bit, which I believe is one of the ways to tell when steel is hot enough to forge weld.

The bad

This was the third time the forge has been run for an extended amount of time. It has destroyed (burned through, melted etc.) the stainless insert and the 2600˚ fire brick floor has a good size hole melted about half way through under each burner. The brick is a little over 1" thick.

So, do I drop the coin on some higher temp rated bricks or just keep a few of the 2600 on hand and just replace them as needed?

Anyway, the job was completed and the customer was more than happy with the pieces.

IMG_20150716_132940 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20150717_075615 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20150716_151824 (Medium).jpg

Definitely buy the better bricks! I have one golden bullet burner on my main shop forge that will melt the 3,000f hard split fire brick under it. Replace the floor bricks as neccesary but you really need better bricks.

Split brick is 1 1/4" thick.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Might want to consider use of a bubble alumina or high alumina ceramic brick (more flux resistant, but very expensive).  I have a half brick of same in my forge and it doesn't appear to degrade, but yours gets a bit hotter than mine.

Thanks for the comments. I just remembered that I have about half a bag of Mizzou castable plus 3000 degree refractory left over from my smelter project (if it's still usable and not a solid chunk). If it is still good I'll just build a form and cast some replacement floor inserts.

Stay tuned.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...